Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why Kuselan will lack everything Katha Parayumbol had accomplished.

Mr. Srinivasan, Mr Mohanan, Producer Mukesh, I must ask you all this very question. Why? Why in god's name did you sell rights to Mr. P.Vasu of Tamil Cinema? Why? You've all just committed one grave sin: Butchering.

Okay, so butchering isn't a sin. But then again what is? I'm talking about your latest cult blockbuster my friend. Yes, Katha Parayumbol, which is due for a DVD release by this summer as many Malayalam hits of last year have been popping up the shelves in my local indian store. As a recent avid watcher of your films Mr. Srinivasan, I happened to love your Udhayananu Thaaram, Arabikatha, and of course your comedic work with Sathyan's classic hit, the Nadodikattu series.

Coming to my point, the fact that Mr Rajnikanth had seen your latest work was fine. But my biggest problem is the alteration of his story to Tamil as Kuselan. As you know, Rajni is to what Chiranjeevi is to Andhra is to Bachchan is to Mumbai (you get the point). Director P.Vasu is a very known face to tamil cinema. You see, his hits with Rajni were basis from either Malayalam hits or other regional languages. Most of them contain Rajniisms that could ridicule those who are not incompetent. Take Sivaji the boss for example. What did we smart people learn from that movie? Bilkull Zero. Nada. Nothing. It was Director Shankar's work that was a big egg on the audience's faces. He was taking us for granted. I understand people watch movies for entertainment, but for god's sake give us something different. Don't give us Rajni recyclers that we all remember uttering to our family get togethers for years now. That done-to-death Padayappa greeting, that Baasha confrontation scene, you name them.

Back to P.Vasu's issue. You might all remember, Chandramukhi 3 years ago that stormed BO during our Tamil New Year. After seeing the film, I was utterly disappointed. Because as it's based off another Malayalam cult hit, Manchitranazhu, this Rajni film was NOWHERE near that greatness of telling a story. Chandramukhi was P.Vasu's way of saying, "the story is shit, but if we put Rajni, here, here and here. Take away the side character's importance that was made in the original, add in the bullet time matrix effects, pop in songs randomly and presto! Chandramukhi is born!" Then when Bhool Bhulaiyaa came, I was heavily relieved. At least Priyadarshan sticks to the script correctly. I can call him a filmmaker but P.Vasu? Nope, he's a cheater, a big cheater.

Now regarding Kuselan. Here's the changes. One, Rajni's guest spot is extended to 1 hour. 1 freaking hour! Two, some of the characters have been either eliminated or changed. In Vasu's case, it's repeat the cast of Chandramukhi minus Jothika (she couldn't act for nuts dude!) Three, why the hell have Nayanthara added to the cast? Because in Billa, she was partially naked for 1 filthy no point scene! (see review for details). She's looks ugly and has no talent, then again do all heroines have it? You decide. Four, the songs. Surely, I admired the songs work Katha Parayumbol had. 2 songs is good enough for me. But in P.Vasu and G.V Prakash's case, we need 5. 1 being an Om Shanti Om ripoff song, 1 being a Nayanthara intro and 2 being a Rajni tribute song and the last being 1/8th truthful to the original. I could go on and on about these changes but my point is....the motto or moral of the story is LOST! Completely lost.

Chandramukhi had Rajni throughout the whole film whereas in BB and Manichitranazhu, Akshay Kumar and Mohanlal come in interval as if Priyan and Fazil were telling us a great story. Vasu was basically saying, "Watch Rajni, who needs story when he's around. Oh yeah and raa raa crap". I swear, if it weren't for those trashy Rajni fans whining in the first place and Vasu's carelessness of spoiling of the better films in the film industry, I could appreciate it a bit more. Then again, Vellitherai (a remake of Srini's Udhayananu Thaaram earlier released this year) was average and a punchless satire. But at least you [Katha Parayumbol team] could have sold the rights to Mr. Prakash Raj of Duet Films. He at least treats Cinema like it should be. His past hits like Azhagiya Theeye and Mozhi are more proof of excellent movies. Pasupathi could've played barber while Prakash Raj played the Superstar. That's good casting.

So in closing, I have nothing more to say but I will avoid Kuselan at all costs. Vasu has failed me with his past films, including chandramukhi, I don't have a reason to watch your story get butchered in tamil. At least Priyadarshan is taking it in hindi without any hinderance to the original (including two item numbers, the last thing I need.) But at least he's got it right with Irfan Khan as Barber and Shah Rukh playing Superstar. I will watch that and the original. I think I'll go watch Dasavathaaram. At least I know there's a really good movie with a great message.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.